Northern Nevada AIDS Walk
State of the State and here at home
- More than 7,000 residents are currently living with HIV/AIDS. In 2003, 462
people were newly diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, giving Nevada the 2nd highest AIDS case
rate in the Western U.S., second only to California.
- While its population ranked 35th in the nation, ranked 14th for the number of
adolescents and adults living with AIDS, 18th for the annual case rate and 20th for
the number of new cases of HIV infection.
- By 2005, Nevada was home to 54 children who contracted HIV/AIDS from a mother
who had or was at risk for HIV.
- In 2007, the number of AIDS cases rose roughly 30% over 2006.
Within the first six months of 2007, the state of Nevada had 264 new cases of HIV.
In Nevada, between 1999 and 2003:
- About 71% of new HIV/AIDS cases occurred in people age 25-44, but the number
of cases in 13-24 year-olds doubled.
- African-Americans made up only 7% of Nevada's population, but represented 27%
of new cases and 22% of persons living with HIV/AIDS. In 2003, based on population,
the rate of HIV/AIDS case in Washoe and Nevada's rural counties. The majority were
exposed through heterosexual contact.
- Men who have sex with men remained the largest group at risk, and the number of
people exposed in this manner has consistently increased since the early 1990s.
- Other high risk groups include substance abusers, persons with STDs and the
prison population. Nevada's small female prison population had a rate more than
four times the national female rate of living with HIV.
In Washoe County:
As of September 30, 2006, Washoe County had reported 1,437 documented cases of
HIV/AIDS. Of these:
- 76% are white, 10% are African-Americans, 12% are Hispanic and 10% are female.
- In terms of exposure, men who have sex with men represent 68%, IV drug users
10%, heterosexual contact 6%, and 14% contracted via other or unidentified means.
- 55% are age 25-39, 36% are 40 and over, 8% are between 19 and 25, and 1% are
18 years or younger.
Within the first six months of 2006, Washoe County reported 38 new cases of HIV/AIDS.
Sources: Nevada State Health Division, Washoe County District Health Department, 2006-2008
Nevada Comprehensive HIV Prevention Plan.